One of the Conway Anatomy series, this is a study of the 1914 Japanese super-dreadnought battleship Fuso, accompanied by technical details and career notes. By the author and illustrator of Yamato and Takao.
HJMS Fuso was designed in 1911, the first Japanese super-dreadnought within the "8 x 8" program. She was the first of four twin battleships with her sister ship, Yamashiro, and the "improved Fuso-class" Ise and Hyuga. Commissioned in 1915, Fuso, with 30,600 tons trial displacement and twelve 356mm guns in her main armament, was the biggest and most powerful battleship in the world. In twenty-nine years of service, Fuso underwent two major reconstructions and modernizations. Her distinctive silhouette, with the highest pagoda tower in the Imperial Navy, was visible in many operations of the Imperial Japanese Grand Fleet during the Pacific War. This book compares Fuso with Yamashiro, showing the differences in the way that the two ships were designed and equipped. Both ships met their demise during the Battle of Leyte Gulf when they went down in the Surigao Strait, targeted by torpedoes and gunfire from U.S. battleships and cruisers. Janusz Skulski's anatomies of three renowned ships of the 20th century Japanese navy are among the most comprehensive of the Anatomy series, with hundreds of meticulously researched drawings of the ships. This new edition is a genuine "Super Anatomy" containing the most detailed renditions of these ships ever seen.
The dictionary consists of an alphabetical index to over 10,000 ship histories documenting nearly every ship that the US Navy has put to sea. Continental and Confederate vessels are also included. Entries include physical information, commissioning, service record, notable actions, and decommissioning. Drawings, photographs, and documents are also included. The Web site is an electronic version of the previously published dictionary series. Web entries may be corrected and updated from those that appeared in the printed series.
This fully illustrated guide offers historical context and step-by-step instruction for building and modifying Japanese battleship models. This volume in the ShipCraft series covers the two related classes of Japanese 14in-gunned battleships, originally built during the First World War but subsequently reconstructed. These ships are famous for their towering forward superstructure, usually described as a pagoda bridge, that they featured when rebuilt. The Ise-class ships underwent further reconstruction during the Second World War to emerge as a unique hybrid of battleship and aircraft carrier to compensate for fleet carriers sunk earlier in the war. This lavishly illustrated guide takes readers through a brief history of the Fuso-class and Ise-class ships, highlighting differences between sisterships and changes in their appearance over their careers. It features color profiles of paint schemes as well as detailed line drawings and scale plans. The modelling section reviews the strengths and weaknesses of available kits, lists commercial accessory sets for super-detailing, and provides hints on modifying and improving the basic kit. This volume also includes a photographic survey of selected high-quality models in a variety of scales and a section on further research references
The Japanese Navy ordered two new battleships in 1912. They were an improved version of Fuso type battleships. Their construction was included in the equipment plan 8-4 of the fleet (8 battleships and 4 heavy cruisers), which was approved by the government and parliament. The amount of money allocated totaled 80 million yen. Design work began in 1913 and all funds for the start of word were collected by July 1914. On May 6, 1915, at the Mitsubishi group shipyard in Nagasaki, a keel for the new battleship was laid. On January 27, 1917, the ship was launched receiving the name Hyuga (after the name of the province). On November 1, 1917, Commander Eitaro Shimodairo became the first captain of the battleship. The Hyuga battleship project was based on the design of the Fuso battleship. Some changes were made to it. The hull was extended by 3 meters, and the armor of the ship's magazines and the central command post were changed. The layout of guns 1 and 2 was changed, which allowed placing the boiler room closer to the bow and fitting the funnels closer to each other. It also allowed putting artillery guns 3 and 4 behind the boiler room. It was not a good choice, because it was necessary to carry the steam ducts to the engine room through the ship's magazines. A better solution was to install the wires under the ship's magazines and over the double bottom.